Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • instagram
  • linkedin
  • youtube
  • telegram
  • whatsapp
The Nation Bulletin

The Nation Bulletin – Trusted News. Unbiased Views.

The Nation Bulletin

The Nation Bulletin – Trusted News. Unbiased Views.

  • HOME
  • WORLD
  • INDIA
  • BUSINESS
  • CRICKET
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDUCATION
  • POLITICS
  • LIFESTYLE
  • TECHNOLOGY
  • SPORTS
  • AUTO
  • HOME
  • WORLD
  • INDIA
  • BUSINESS
  • CRICKET
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDUCATION
  • POLITICS
  • LIFESTYLE
  • TECHNOLOGY
  • SPORTS
  • AUTO
Login/Sign Up
Home/UTTAR PRADESH/Lucknow Medical Negligence Case: Youth Loses Hand
UTTAR PRADESH

Lucknow Medical Negligence Case: Youth Loses Hand

Avatar
By Praveen Yadav
August 17, 2026 6 Min Read
Lucknow medical negligence case involving 21-year-old Ankit Rathore after surgery at RMLIMS
A 21-year-old Firozabad man reportedly lost his hand following complications after surgery at RMLIMS in Lucknow.

Lucknow,India– A 21-year-old man from Firozabad has allegedly lost his hand after undergoing treatment for a food-pipe blockage and abdominal pain at Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Institute of Medical Sciences (RMLIMS) in Lucknow. His family has accused the hospital of serious medical negligence, alleging that a circulation problem in his hand was not detected and treated in time after surgery.

  • Ankit Rathore, 21, was admitted to RMLIMS on June 2 for treatment of a food-pipe blockage and abdominal pain.
  • His abdominal surgery on June 8 reportedly lasted from 9 am to 8 pm, after which he complained of severe pain in his hand.
  • The family alleges that swelling, blackening, infection and gangrene developed because the circulation problem was not identified promptly.
  • The affected hand was reportedly amputated twice, first near the wrist and later above the elbow after the infection spread.

Lucknow Medical Negligence Case: How the Treatment Progressed

Ankit Rathore, a resident of Nai Basti in Firozabad, had reportedly been suffering from a blockage in his food pipe and abdominal pain for around a year. He had earlier sought treatment at Saifai Medical College but did not get relief, following which he came to Lucknow for further treatment.

He was admitted to RMLIMS on June 2, where treatment was started in the gastroenterology department. According to his family, doctors subsequently performed surgery on June 8.

The operation reportedly began at around 9 am and continued until approximately 8 pm. After being brought out of the operating area, Ankit complained of severe and unbearable pain in his hand.

His family alleges that the complaint was treated as a routine post-operative issue and was not investigated with the urgency they believe was required. By the following morning, they say the hand had become severely swollen and started turning black.

Family Alleges Delay in Detecting Blood Circulation Problem

The family says other doctors later told them that a problem involving the blood vessels or circulation should have been identified during the first six hours following surgery.

According to the family’s account, the circulation problem remained untreated long enough for the condition to deteriorate. Infection and gangrene subsequently developed, ultimately making amputation necessary.

Also Read :-  US Diners Avoid Restaurants as Cyclosporiasis Fears Hit Lettuce Sales

The family has raised several possible explanations for the loss of circulation. They allege that an IV cannula or arterial line may have been incorrectly placed, or that prolonged pressure on the hand during the lengthy operation could have restricted blood flow.

They have also questioned whether anaesthesia-related procedures or inadequate post-operative monitoring contributed to the deterioration. These are allegations made by the family and have not been independently established in the information supplied.

Hand Was Reportedly Amputated in Two Operations

As the hand reportedly turned black and infection and gangrene progressed, doctors initially had to amputate the affected limb near the wrist.

However, according to the family, the infection continued to move upward. A second surgery was therefore performed, during which the amputation reportedly had to be extended to above the elbow.

The family believes that earlier identification of the circulation problem could have prevented the condition from reaching this stage. Establishing whether the amputation was preventable would require a detailed medical investigation and expert assessment.

Family Claims They Faced Problems After Raising Complaints

Ankit’s mother, Pushpa Devi, and sister, Lakshmi, have been pursuing action over the alleged treatment lapses. The family says they attempted to approach senior officials, including the Deputy Chief Minister in his capacity as health minister, as well as the Chief Minister’s public grievance forum.

The relatives also allege that after submitting written complaints to senior officials at the institute, ward staff and security personnel had their bedding and belongings removed from the ward and attempted to make them leave the hospital premises.

The family further alleges that the patient diet being provided through the hospital canteen was stopped. These claims are part of the family’s account and have not been independently verified from the supplied material.

Family Rejects Claims of Financial Assistance

The relatives have disputed claims that the hospital administration provided or formally assured them financial assistance or a government job following the amputation.

Also Read :-  Akhilesh Yadav Targets CM Yogi Over Publicity Spending; BJP Responds

According to the family, they have not received concrete assistance despite the serious impact of the incident. They are seeking compensation as well as long-term rehabilitation support.

Amputation Has Created Major Livelihood Crisis

Ankit reportedly earned a living by selling fruits and vegetables and was one of the family’s main sources of income. His father, Mahesh Chandra, works as a labourer, but the family says his earnings alone were not enough to meet household expenses.

The loss of Ankit’s main working hand has therefore created a severe livelihood crisis. His relatives say the family is now struggling to determine how it will manage its future expenses.

The family also says it has accumulated substantial debt because of treatment, medicines and investigations from Saifai to Lucknow. The financial pressure has increased alongside the need for long-term rehabilitation.

The relatives are seeking an artificial hand and employment assistance so that Ankit can eventually regain a source of income and greater independence.

Hospital-Linked Sources Cite Complications

Sources associated with the hospital have reportedly said that complications occurred during the operation and that amputation became necessary to prevent the infection from spreading further and to save Ankit’s life.

The family’s version is different. They maintain that the circulation problem in the hand should have been detected through proper monitoring after an abdominal operation and treated before irreversible damage occurred.

The central question is therefore whether the loss of the limb resulted from an unavoidable medical complication or whether delayed detection and inadequate post-operative care contributed to the outcome.

Family Seeks FIR, Compensation and Rehabilitation

Ankit’s family is demanding a high-level and impartial investigation into the circumstances surrounding the loss of his hand. They have also sought registration of an FIR against those they believe were responsible for medical negligence.

The family’s demands include government compensation, an artificial hand and employment assistance. They also want accountability from the medical staff if an investigation establishes negligence or failure to follow appropriate medical procedures.

Also Read :-  UP Weather Alert: Heavy Rain to Continue for 2-3 Days, These Districts on Watch

The case has raised questions about post-operative monitoring, patient care and accountability at major government medical institutions. However, the allegations cannot by themselves establish negligence, and responsibility would need to be determined through an appropriate medical and administrative inquiry.

Frequently Asked Questions

What happened to Ankit Rathore after his surgery at RMLIMS?

According to his family, Ankit developed severe hand pain after his June 8 surgery. His hand reportedly became swollen and black the following morning, followed by infection and gangrene. The family says two surgeries were eventually required to amputate the affected limb.

What action is Ankit Rathore’s family demanding?

The family has sought an impartial high-level investigation, an FIR over alleged medical negligence, government compensation and long-term rehabilitation support, including an artificial hand and employment assistance.

What Happens Next

The key issue now is whether an independent investigation can establish what caused the loss of circulation, when the problem first became clinically apparent, what monitoring was carried out after surgery and whether appropriate intervention was provided.

The family and hospital-linked sources have presented different accounts of the circumstances leading to the amputation. A formal medical and administrative inquiry would be required to establish the cause and determine whether any negligence occurred.

For Ankit and his family, the consequences have extended beyond the immediate medical treatment. The reported loss of his hand has affected his livelihood, while the family says treatment-related expenses have left them facing significant financial pressure.

Source Attribution: This report is based solely on the information supplied, including the allegations made by Ankit Rathore’s family and the reported response from hospital-associated sources.

Medical Disclaimer: The allegations described in this report do not constitute a medical or legal finding of negligence. The cause of the complications and whether the outcome could have been prevented should be determined by qualified medical experts and competent investigative authorities.

Tags:

Ankit RathoreFirozabadHealth NewsHealthcareHospital NegligenceLucknowMedical NegligenceRMLIMSUttar Pradesh
Avatar
Author

Praveen Yadav

Praveen Yadav is the Founder and Content Creator of The Nation Bulletin, an independent digital news platform focused on delivering timely, reliable and meaningful news from India and around the world.

Follow Me
Other Articles
Asian shares rise as markets reduce Federal Reserve rate hike expectations
Previous

Asian Shares Rise as Fed Rate Hike Bets Fade

Ganga Expressway road subsidence after heavy rain in Hasanpur raises construction quality concerns
Next

Ganga Expressway Road Sinks After Rain, Construction Quality Under Scrutiny

Legal & Information

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Copyright 2026 — The Nation Bulletin. All rights reserved. Blogsy WordPress Theme