22 Indian Sailors Hijacked on Two Vessels

Indian sailors hijacked aboard two commercial vessels off Yemen and Somalia

NEW DELHI, India — India has raised concerns with Somali authorities over the hijacking of two foreign-flagged commercial vessels carrying 22 Indian sailors in separate incidents off Yemen and Somalia, while the Indian High Commission in Kenya said all Indian seafarers were reportedly safe.

  • Key Highlights:
  • Two commercial vessels carrying 22 Indian sailors were hijacked in separate incidents in waters off Yemen and Somalia.
  • MT Sibu was carrying 16 Indian seafarers, while MV Lutuf had six Indian sailors on board.
  • The Indian High Commission in Kenya said all Indian seafarers were reportedly safe.
  • India has taken up the matter with concerned authorities in Somalia and reiterated its focus on the safety of Indian seafarers.

India raises concern over hijacking of vessels carrying Indian sailors

India has formally taken up the issue of the two vessel hijackings with Somali authorities as concerns grow over the safety of Indian mariners operating in volatile waters. The incidents involved two foreign-flagged commercial vessels and a combined total of 22 Indian seafarers.

The Eritrea-flagged oil products tanker MT Sibu was carrying 20 crew members, including 16 Indians, when it was hijacked in the Gulf of Aden on August 20. The vessel was reported to have been seized by armed pirates around 30 nautical miles off the Yemeni coast.

The second incident involved the Cameroon-flagged MV Lutuf. The vessel was hijacked on August 17 off Somalia’s Puntland coast. It had 10 crew members on board, including six Indian seafarers.

Indian sailors reportedly safe

The Indian High Commission in Kenya said in a social media post that all Indian seafarers involved in the two incidents were reportedly safe.

Also Read :-  PM Modi Speech 2026: Why Exam Protests Were Not Mentioned

The Mission said India attaches the highest importance to the safety and welfare of its seafaring community. It also confirmed that the matter had been taken up with the concerned authorities in Somalia.

The statement comes as Indian authorities monitor the situation involving the two vessels and their crews. The presence of Indian sailors on both ships has made their safety a key concern for New Delhi.

MT Sibu hijacked in Gulf of Aden

MT Sibu, an Eritrea-flagged oil products tanker, was carrying a total crew of 20 when the incident occurred in the Gulf of Aden on August 20. Sixteen members of its crew are Indian nationals.

The tanker was hijacked approximately 30 nautical miles off the coast of Yemen. The incident places the vessel within a maritime area where commercial shipping has faced significant security concerns.

The Indian sailors aboard MT Sibu represent the larger share of the Indian crew affected by the two reported hijackings, with 16 Indian seafarers on the tanker compared with six aboard MV Lutuf.

MV Lutuf hijacked off Somalia

MV Lutuf, which flies the flag of Cameroon, was hijacked on August 17 off the Puntland coast of Somalia. The vessel had 10 crew members, including six Indian sailors.

The incident preceded the hijacking of MT Sibu by three days. India has raised the matter with Somali authorities as part of efforts to address the safety of the affected seafarers.

According to the information provided by the Indian High Commission in Kenya, the Indian seafarers on the vessels are reportedly safe. No further details about their current circumstances were provided in the supplied material.

Also Read :-  Houthis Target Saudi Refinery Days After New Defence Pact

New Delhi reiterates focus on seafarer safety

External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal also addressed the issue during his bi-weekly media briefing. In response to a question, he spoke about growing safety concerns involving Indian mariners operating in volatile waters.

Jaiswal reiterated New Delhi’s commitment to prioritising the welfare of India’s seafaring community. His remarks came as Indian authorities dealt with the reports concerning the two vessels carrying Indian sailors.

The two incidents have brought renewed attention to the risks faced by Indian seafarers working aboard commercial vessels operating through areas affected by maritime security threats. The government has said the safety and welfare of the country’s seafaring community remain a priority.

India engages Somali authorities

The Indian High Commission in Kenya said the matter had been taken up with the concerned authorities in Somalia. This engagement is particularly relevant to the reported hijacking of MV Lutuf off the Puntland coast and the broader concerns surrounding the safety of Indian sailors in the region.

India’s response has focused on the safety of the 22 Indian seafarers involved in the two incidents. The available information indicates that they are reportedly safe, while diplomatic engagement with the relevant authorities continues.

The hijackings occurred on August 17 and August 20, involving vessels flying the flags of Cameroon and Eritrea and operating in waters off Somalia and Yemen. For India, ensuring the welfare of the Indian sailors aboard both commercial vessels remains the central concern as authorities continue to address the incidents.