Jannik Sinner Pulls Out of US Open With Knee Injury

Jannik Sinner US Open withdrawal after persistent right knee injury

NEW YORK, United States — World No. 1 Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the U.S. Open because of a persistent right knee injury, dealing a major blow to the season’s final Grand Slam just two days before the tournament begins in New York.

  • Jannik Sinner US Open withdrawal is linked to a persistent right knee injury.
  • The Italian has not played since sustaining the injury earlier in August.
  • Sinner previously withdrew from the Cincinnati Open and skipped the Canadian Open.
  • Carlos Alcaraz will now enter the tournament as the highest-ranked player after confirming his participation.

Jannik Sinner US Open withdrawal confirmed

Sinner, 24, announced his decision on Friday after returning to the court in Monte Carlo with his team and medical staff. The Italian said the recovery process had not progressed enough for him to safely compete at Flushing Meadows.

“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the U.S. Open this year,” Sinner said in a statement posted on X.

He added that he had been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last few days, but the sessions made it clear that he required additional time to recover from the right knee problem.

Injury keeps Wimbledon champion out of New York

The withdrawal comes shortly after Sinner won his fifth Grand Slam title at Wimbledon last month. His recent success had made him one of the leading contenders for another major title, but the knee issue has now ruled him out of the tournament.

Also Read :-  CWG 2026: India Scripts Historic Boxing Campaign with Record Seven Gold Medals in Glasgow

Sinner has not competed since sustaining the injury earlier this month. His absence from the U.S. Open follows two significant withdrawals from hard-court events that normally serve as preparation for the New York Grand Slam.

The Italian pulled out of the Cincinnati Open and also decided not to play at the Canadian Open. Those tournaments would have provided valuable competitive preparation before the U.S. Open, but Sinner instead focused on his recovery.

Alcaraz becomes top-ranked player in US Open field

The timing of Sinner’s decision is particularly significant because Carlos Alcaraz confirmed his participation in the tournament just a day earlier. The Spaniard is ranked No. 2 and returns to competitive tennis after a four-month absence.

Alcaraz defeated Sinner in last year’s U.S. Open final, and the two players have emerged as major rivals on the Grand Slam stage. With Sinner now unavailable, Alcaraz enters this year’s tournament as the highest-ranked player in the field described in the supplied report.

His return also gives him an opportunity to compete for another major title after dealing with recent injury problems. Sinner’s withdrawal removes one of the strongest challengers he would have faced in New York.

Major change to the US Open title picture

Sinner’s absence changes the competitive landscape for the final Grand Slam of the season. The world No. 1 had arrived at this stage of the year as the reigning Wimbledon champion, but his knee problem means he will now have to continue his recovery away from tournament competition.

For Alcaraz, the withdrawal removes one of the biggest obstacles from his route through the tournament. The Spaniard will nevertheless begin his campaign after a lengthy period without competitive tennis, making his return one of the major storylines surrounding this year’s event.

Also Read :-  Jacoby Brissett Signs New $15.5M Cardinals Deal, Set for Week 1 Starter Role

The U.S. Open is scheduled to run from August 23 to September 13. Sinner’s decision means the tournament will proceed without the player currently ranked No. 1 in the world and without one of the most prominent contenders for the men’s singles title.

Sinner prioritises recovery over Grand Slam appearance

Sinner’s statement indicates that the decision was taken after consultation with his team and medical staff rather than as a last-minute choice. His return to practice in Monte Carlo provided an opportunity to assess his condition before making the final call on competing in New York.

With the tournament only days away, Sinner has opted to give his right knee more time to recover instead of entering a Grand Slam while still dealing with the injury. His withdrawal closes his U.S. Open campaign before it begins and leaves the Italian’s immediate return to competitive tennis dependent on his recovery.

The decision also brings an end to a difficult build-up for Sinner after his Wimbledon triumph. Having already missed the Canadian Open and Cincinnati Open, he will now miss the season’s final Grand Slam as well.

What Sinner’s withdrawal means for the tournament

The U.S. Open will begin on August 23 without the world No. 1, while Alcaraz will arrive as the highest-ranked player after confirming that he is fit enough to compete. Their rivalry was expected to be one of the central narratives of the tournament following their meeting in last year’s final.

Instead, Sinner will continue his rehabilitation away from Flushing Meadows. The Italian’s latest update makes clear that more recovery time is required before he can return to competitive action.