DR Congo and M23 Rebels Agree Roadmap for Peace Talks

The Democratic Republic of the Congo and an M23-led rebel alliance have agreed on a roadmap outlining steps and timelines for negotiations, even as fighting continues in the country’s east.

DR Congo M23 peace talks roadmap as negotiations continue to address fighting in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo
DR Congo and an M23-led alliance have agreed on a roadmap setting out steps and timelines for future peace negotiations.

KINSHASA, Democratic Republic of the Congo — The Democratic Republic of the Congo and an M23-led rebel alliance have agreed on a roadmap for peace talks aimed at advancing efforts to end a conflict that has killed thousands and displaced millions in the country’s east. The agreement sets out sequenced steps and timelines for negotiations under a framework signed in Doha in November.

  • Key Highlights:
  • DRC and an M23-led alliance agreed on a roadmap for future peace negotiations.
  • The roadmap followed five days of talks in Switzerland from August 17 to 21.
  • A ceasefire verification mission is scheduled to arrive in Minembwe on Monday.
  • Fighting and competing claims of attacks continue despite the diplomatic process.

DR Congo and M23 rebels set timelines for negotiations

According to a joint statement released on Saturday, the parties developed a roadmap that establishes a sequence of steps and timelines for negotiations. The process is being pursued under a framework agreement signed in the Qatari capital, Doha, in November.

The latest roadmap emerged after five days of talks in Switzerland between August 17 and August 21. Representatives from the United States, Qatar, Togo, Switzerland and the African Union Commission also took part in the discussions.

The two sides also agreed on a standardised method for reporting alleged ceasefire violations. They said a separate mechanism would be established to deal with problems linked to implementing the Doha agreement.

Also Read :-  Lebanese PM Nawaf Salam Condemns Israeli Attacks, Calls Them 'Blatant Violation' of Ceasefire

Ceasefire verification mission set for Minembwe

A ceasefire verification mission is expected to arrive in Minembwe, in eastern South Kivu province, on Monday. Its planned deployment comes as the parties attempt to move from negotiated commitments towards monitoring conditions on the ground.

Earlier this month, the DRC transferred 15 prisoners to the Congo River Alliance (AFC) and M23 as part of the wider peace process. The handover was facilitated by the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Fighting continues despite diplomatic progress

Security conditions in eastern DRC remain fragile. On Saturday, AFC/M23 spokesman Lawrence Kanyuka claimed that DRC “coalition forces” had carried out air raids using kamikaze drones against densely populated areas of the Minembwe region.

Kanyuka said in a post on X that the alleged attacks caused civilian casualties and significant damage to civilian infrastructure. Al Jazeera said it could not immediately verify the claim.

The United Nations warned in July that the security situation in North Kivu and South Kivu had been further destabilised by the increasing use of drones by the opposing sides.

Ebola outbreak adds to eastern DRC crisis

The conflict is also unfolding alongside an Ebola outbreak in the region. The outbreak has compounded the humanitarian crisis, with about 2,500 people having died from the virus since May.

The renewed diplomatic effort therefore comes amid simultaneous security and public health pressures affecting eastern DRC.

M23 offensive has displaced millions

The conflict in eastern DRC intensified again in 2021 when M23 resumed its offensive. Since then, the armed group has seized large areas of territory, including the provincial capitals of Goma and Bukavu, which were captured in early 2025.

Also Read :-  Houthi Attack Kills Six in Red Sea Shipping Strike

Fighting connected to the conflict has killed thousands of people and displaced an estimated 5.3 million people across the region.

The conflict has deeper historical roots connected to the 1994 genocide by extremist Hutus against Tutsis in Rwanda and the collapse of the Mobutu Sese Seko government in what was then Zaire.

Regional accusations remain unresolved

The DRC, the United Nations and Western governments have accused Rwanda of supporting M23, an armed group led by ethnic Tutsis, with troops and weapons. Rwanda has denied those allegations.

Rwanda, meanwhile, has accused the DRC of supporting Hutu militias including the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda, known as the FDLR. Authorities in Kinshasa deny that allegation.

The United States separately brokered a peace deal between the DRC and Rwanda last year, while the latest roadmap focuses on negotiations involving the DRC and the M23-led alliance.